Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pumpkin Pie

Call me basic or cliche, but I love pumpkin everything in the fall: pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin patches, and best yet, pumpkin pie. One of my fondest memories of Thanksgiving and fall was eating pumpkin pie as a young child, that was probably what created my obsession with pumpkin. I love sharing my love of baking with the world, and now I am going to share (even more deeply than I already have) my love for pumpkin. For this recipe, I made a homemade crust, which I have never done before so that was something I was excited and nervous about at the same time. It came out buttery and delicious and dare I say it: BETTER than that store bought pie crust that we all love. Just another recipe that has shown me that homemade is always best and is always filled with love and passion. Maybe you can share this recipe with your family on Thanksgiving or anytime that you are in the pumpkin mood. The whole time I was baking this pie, my whole apartment smelled like delicious pumpkin and cinnamon. This pie is everything a pumpkin pie should be: creamy and delicious.
First you need to make the yummy, buttery crust. This sounds like a hard task, but it really isn't too difficult! Here is the recipe:
Pie Crust: 
1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp of salt
8 tbs of cold butter cut up into small pieces 
4 tbs of ice water
First, in a bowl mix together the flour salt and the sugar. 
Cut the butter up into small pieces, 
Using your fingers (or a pastry blender), mix the butter into the flour mixture, until the pieces are pea sized and yellowish in color. This should take about 4 minutes.
Next, add the ice water and mix until it just comes together. Do not over mix! 
Shape the dough into a flat, disk shape. 
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes. 
After 30 minutes, take the dough out and shape it to your pie pan. Do not bake the dough before you bake the pie! They bake together. 

Next, we make the pie filling: the best part. This part is also pretty simple and it makes a yummy pie. Here is the recipe:
Pumpkin Pie Filling: 
3/4 cup of sugar
1 can (15 oz) of pure pumpkin ( I use Libby's because I think it is yummy)
1 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp of salt
2 large eggs
1 can (12 oz) of evaporated milk 
First, milk the sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a bowl. 
Next, beat the eggs. 
Then add the eggs into the sugar mixture and mix them until combined. 
Then, add the can of pumpkin to the mixture and beat until well combined. 
Then, slowly add the evaporated milk and mix until it is well combined. 
Then, pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust. 
Then, bake the pie in the oven for 15 minutes at 425. Then, after the fifteen minutes, bake it at 350 for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Let the pie cool for 2 hours and then refrigerate it. 


Then, enjoy this beautiful pie! 



















No comments:

Post a Comment